9190, Boulevard des Mille iles, Laval, Québec, J7R 2B6, Canada
Version françcaise -- [link]Other known names :
Maison Robert-Sheldon, Maison Twiss.Seigneurie de La Prairie-de-la-Magdeleine
It is on January 15, 1635 that Sieur François de Lauzon de Lirec gets a field from "Compagnie des Cents Associés" in front notaries Huart and Muret. This domain began at the Richelieu River to the Chateauguay River, including the island of Montreal, this act is signed by Abbé Gabriel de Thubière de Lévis de Queylus (Caylus) et Ragois. Charles Huault, chevalier de Montmagny yield the land, called "Seigneurie de la Citière" to Sieur François de Lauzon de Lirec on July 29, 1639 in Trois-Rivières, in the presence of Nicolas Trevet (prosecutor François de Lauzon), the Sieur Paul de Pouterel, Jean Guitet, the Sieur Jean Bourdon dit Rommainville and Guillaume Hébert
No it was not an "April Fool" ... it was April 1, 1647 that Sieur François de Lauzon de Lirec, advisor to the King of the Bordeaux parliament, conceded some of his fief to Jacques de la Ferté, abbé de la Madeleine (Paris), a member of the "Compagnie des Cents Associés", which immediately yield to Jesuits. Two leagues front four leagues deep in front of the Island of Montreal on the south side, starting from the island Sainte-Hélène continuing in the direction of the Saut Saint-Louis to fourth place beyond of a prairie of the Magdelaine. Then in 1648, the Sieur François de Lauzon de Lirec gives "Seigneurie de la Citière" to Louis de Lauson de La Citière (1630-1659).
One of the first colonization of Nouvelle-France goal has been clearly identified as the conversion of "sauvages" (indians) by, at first, the "Société de Notre-Dame de Montréal pour la conversion des Sauvages de la Nouvelle-France", and later by "Messieurs du Séminaire de Saint-Sulpice" ( [link]
). After more than a decade, finding the few results wandering mission was made. For best results, it should settle the "sauvages" near the French settlement. It is to this end that the Jesuits created the "Seigneurie de La Prairie-de-la-Magdeleine", in front to Ville-Marie, on the other side of the river.
However, due to a war with the Iroquois, Pierre Rafeix has taken possession of the Seigneurie, for the Jesuits, that July 14, 1667, the date of the opening of the parish registers of "La Nativité-de-la-Sainte-Vierge". The new Seigneurie, besides the village Kentake (La Prairie), a total of 35 fiefs. The Jesuits remain in the village where they say Mass in a poor building that serves as chapel. Then in 1668 Pierre Raffeix founds the Tonsahoten mission, that the Jesuits named as Saint-François-Xavier-des-Prés (now Caughnawaga or Kahnawake) for converted Iroquois, Oneida (one of six Iroquois nations) he brought back from the south.
It is on November 19, 1670, that the celebration of the first marriage in the parish of "La Nativité-de-la-Sainte-Vierge", that of Pierre Gagné Catherine Daubigeon. The village then has five huts in which housed twenty families from different Indian nations (Mohawk, Huron, Onondaga, Andastogués, Andastes).
The Jesuits concede to their secretary Joseph Tissot, a location of "6 perches by 1 1/2 perch" in the village on November 4, 1671. A grist mill was built on the road leading to the village Saint-Jacques River and the "censitaires" are forced to grind their grain. In 1673, the count (official) of the Seigneurie population reached 99 people, 36 single men, 15 couples and 33 children. In fact, the presence of village in seigneuries was rare in Nouvelle-France at that time.
Some "sauvages" who wished to settle in the island of Montreal, the "Messieurs de Saint-Sulpice" began the erection of a camp on the southern flank of Mont-Royal in 1676 ( [link]
). As noted Sister Marguerite Bourgeoys: "was the first of the island where "sauvages" came to be educated
". In 1683, the mission already had 210 Indians in 26 homes.
As soon as Louis Tronson (1622-1700), director of the "Séminaire de Saint-Sulpice" in Paris, had learned the establishment of the mission of the Mountain, he wrote no stone unturned to first win the hearts of "sauvages" children, and open schools for them to be educated:
"M. Colbert approuve extraordinairement votre dessein pour l'établissement de petites écoles de sauvages ; il est persuadé qu'on ne saurait rien faire de plus utile. C'est une oeuvre où il faut s'appliquer tout de bon, et à quoi il faudra donner tout ce que l'état de la maison pourra permettre. Ainsi n'épargnez rien pour l'instruction de ces enfants. Vous voyez combien tout cela vous oblige à supprimer les missions du lac Ontario, que M. Colbert croit d'ailleurs être très-peu fructueuses. Je dînai chez lui il y a quelques jours, et il me dit la grâce de me bien écouter sur toutes nos affaires."
Extract from the letter of Louis Tronson to Guillaume Bailly, on April 22, 1678.
In the wake of recommendation M. Tronson, in 1683 they opened the first school of the "Seigneurie".
When the canonical erection of the parish of Saint-François-Xavier in 1692, the population of the seigneurie is 181 people. On June 7, 1697 The Jesuits concede the factory this parish some plots, on inside and outside of the fence, 450 yards to the needs of the church and cemetery, and 900 yards to the rectory and garden.
In the eighteenth century, the population of French settlers increased significantly, but remains, for reasons of safety, confined within the stockade. The 1705 years saw the erection of the first stone church. Because of its geographical position, the village of La Prairie quickly established as a place of transit required for trade between Ville-Marie and New England. After the conquest of 1759-60, many English traders came to settle there. The fence, enlarged several times, became obsolete and gradually disappears, new homes beyond the scope of this fortification.
The constant crossing of passengers and goods brought by steamboats for trade between New England and Lower Canada, enriches. These steamers appear in La Prairie in 1808. A major fire occurred in 1846, triggered by embers from the furnace of a steam locomotive belonging to the Champlain & St. Lawrence Railroad (C&SL - formed in 1832), and the construction of the Victoria Bridge (1860), bringing the railway of the same company, sounded the slow economic decline of the region in the second half of the 19th century.The Battle of La Prairie
La Prairie is strategically located in the corridor by the Richelieu and Hudson, can be used to track intrusions carried out by the British and / or the Iroquois. This seigneurie of the Jesuits remained for a long time the most advanced position to defend Montreal against these invasions. The village is surrounded by a palisade stakes standing so that people and animals can find refuge in case of attack. After two French raids in New England, the British organized a rematch. As part of the "First Intercolonial War", August 11, 1691, about five o'clock in the morning, the village is attacked by a troop of 146 Mohawks and Wolves and 120 militiamen from Fort Orange (Albany, NY) controlled by the Dutch Major Pieter Schuyler. Within hours, the French troops destroyed and losses are very high, 14 residents of the seigneurie are killed. Invader comes out winner of that fight, folds to Saint-Jean to join his craft and probably rush worm Ville-Marie.
when unfolded this attack on the fort of La Prairie, a detachment of 160 to 200 men under the command of Philippe Clément Du Vuault, sieur de Valrennes was on the way to the Chambly fort. hearing the shots, the french soldiers turned around and halfway between the two forts, they saw the troops of Major Schuyler. they quickly took position on a hill to block road to Saint-Jean and the British force to engage the struggle that was won by the Valrennes' men. The priest Geoffroy "certify that he buried gentlemen: St Cirq foot captain ,Dosta reformed captain and Domergue reformed lieutenant killed in the battle happened here that day with 14 soldiers and residents also killed on the spot that was not recognized". Among these unrecognized people there were :
From English point of view
- St Cirq foot captain, is also known as the "Capitaine de Saint-Cirque" or "Saint-Sircq" (see text below)
- The sieur d'Escairac died next day
- The sieur d'Hosta, reformed captain.
- Domergue (Domerque) reformed lieutenant.
- Nicolas-Charles Barbier was born in Ville-Marie April 20, 1658 from the marriage of Gilbert-Gilles Barbier dit Le Minime et Le Nivernais (1619-1693) and Catherine De Lavoux (Delavaux, 1620-1688), was school teacher priest between 1686 and 1691. His brother Charles-Henri was killed by the Iroquois in the coast of Repentigny, with François Lemoyne De Bienville and Pierre Du Charme, June 8, 1691.
- Jean Le Ber dit Duchesne is also known under the name "Jean-Vincent du Chesne", "Jean Le Ber du Chesne", "Jean-Vincent Le Ber" and "Jan Vincent Leber". He is the son of Jacques LeBer dit Larose (1633-1706) and Demoiselle Jeanne Lemoyne (1636-1682), born and baptized on November 8, 1666 in Ville-Marie, Montreal Island. He was the brother of Jeanne, known as "Demoiselle Jeanne Le Ber", a famous Canadian recluse of the Congregation of Notre-Dame, who was godfather Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve and Jeanne Mance was his godmother. see also "Site historique et archeologique Le Ber-Le Moyne" [link]
- Pierre Cabassier is also known under the name "Pierre Capazié" and "Pierre Cabazié". He is the son Pierre Cabazié (1641-1715) and Jeanne Guiberge (1656-1728), born and baptized September 15, 1672 in Ville-Marie, Montreal Island.
- Pierre-Joseph Pinguet de Montigny is the son of Noël Pinguet (1630-1685), jr. and Marie-Magdeleine Dupont (1636-1696), born on August 15, 1658 and baptized on 18 August in Quebec. He married atherine Testard de Folleville (1671-XXXX), daughter of Charles Testard de Folleville (1640-1705) and Anne Lamarque (1648-1686), on October 19, 1689 in Ville-Marie, Montreal Island. He is a soldier in 1691. He had no descendants. Catherine Testard remarried on 1 January 1693 Douaire Augustine, with whom she has four children.
- Louis Du Charme is also known under the name "Louis Ducharme dit Fontaine" and "Louis Ducharme." He is the son of Fiacre Du Charme (1628-1677) and Marie Pacrau (1628-1699), born and baptized on August 23, 1660 in Ville-Marie, Montreal Island. He married Marie-Anne Maillet (1666-1759), daughter of Pierre Mallet (1629-XXXX) et Marie Hardy (1633-1726), on November 27, 1681 in Ville-Marie, Montreal Island. Before his death, he had two children: John and Joseph. His brother Pierre was killed by the Iroquois in the coast of Repentigny, with François Lemoyne De Bienville and Charles-Henri Barbier, June 8, 1691.
- François Cibardin is the son of François Cibardin and Antoinette Vergnaud, was born and baptized in 1660 in Beaulieu, Angouleme, France. He was a master shoemaker when he married Marie-Louise De Guitre (1667-1732), daughter of Louis De Guitre (1648-1675) et Renée de Seine (1643-1703), on July 9, 1691 in Ville-Marie, Island of Montreal. Like the duration of his first marriage, 1 month, the Marie-Louise's mourning has been short, 4 months, as she remarried on January 14, 1692 with Jacques Robidas (Robida) dit Manseau.
- 7 other French combatants
After leaving his canoes on the river, the Dutch Major Pieter Schuyler went to La Prairie de la Magdeleine by land, reaching the fort on a rainy night, August 10. An hour before sunrise on August 11, the sentinel of the fort fired. The "Capitaine de Saint-Cirque", the old captain who was in command instead of the Governor of Montreal, Louis-Hector de Callière, the disease kept in bed in Fort Ville-Marie, made a sortie. Discharge of musket mortally wounded and the sieur d’Escairac (Desquairac). The Sieur d'Hosta (Dosta) reformed captain was killed instantly.
A second contingent, commanded by Jean Bouillet de la Chassaigne (Chassagne) arrived at that moment and rushed headlong upon the men of Schuyler, who, after a vigorous resistance, withdrew in good order. Schuyler then toward the Richelieu River, where he had left his canoe but it was intercepted by the contingent sent to protect the Fort Chambly. Philippe Clément Du Vuault, sieur de Valrennes and Jean Le Ber dit Duchesne deployed their troops behind the trees and the English fought battle for an hour and a half. Schuyler and his men managed to make their way through the French ranks and achieve their canoes. As he told the provincial council in New York a few weeks later: "We resumed our way back and on the way met five elk which reinvigorated the whole company [...] In that expedition, we have lost 21 Christians, 16 Mohawk, 6 River Indians, and 25 men were wounded [...] Let us estimate have killed about 200 French and Indians
The bravery and skill that had shown the militiamen of Fort Orange (Albany, NY) made a very good impression on the Indians of the Five Nations were convinced when the English were able to fight and that they were willing to risk their lives in war.
One of the descendants of the Dutch Major Pieter Schuyler, who commanded the Anglo-Iroquois troops, William Douw Schuyler-Lighthall (1857-XXXX) immortalized the "Bataille de La Prairie" :
1691The capitaine Saint-Cirq
THAT was a brave old epoch,
Our age of chivalry,
When the Briton met the French-man
At the fight of La Prairie;
And the manhood of New England,
And the Netherlanders true
And Mohawks sworn, gave battle
To the Bourbon’s lilied blue.
That was a brave old governor
Who gathered his array,
And stood to meet, he knew not what,
On that alarming day.
Eight hundred, amid rumors vast
That filled the wild wood’s gloom,
With all New England’s flower of youth,
Fierce for New France’s doom.
And the brave old half five hundred!
Theirs should in truth be fame;
Borne down the savage Richelieu,
On what emprise they came!
Your hearts are great enough, O few:
Only your numbers fail,—
New France asks more for conquerors
All glorious though your tale.
It was a brave old battle
That surged around the fort,
When D’Hosta fell in charging,
And ’t was deadly strife and short;
When in the very quarters
They contested face and hand,
And many a goodly fellow
Crimsoned yon La Prairie sand.
And those were brave old orders
The colonel gave to meet
That forest force with trees entrenched
Opposing the retreat:
“De Calliére’s strength’s behind us,
And in front your Richelieu;
We must go straightforth at them;
There is nothing else to do.”
And then the brave old story comes,
Of Schuyler and Valrennes,
When “Fight” the British colonel called,
Encouraging his men,
“For the Protestant Religion
And the honor of our King!”—
“Sir, I am here to answer you!”
Valrennes cried, forthstepping.
Were those not brave old races?
Well, here they still abide;
And yours is one or other,
And the second’s at your side;
So when you hear your brother say,
“Some loyal deed I ’ll do,”
Like old Valrennes, be ready with
“I ’m here to answer you!”
Here, about the personage that our stories usually called "M. de St-Cirque", some notes a little or not known.Source : Recherches historiques : bulletin d'archeologie, d'histoire, de biographie, de bibliographie, de numismatique... (Volume 21) - Pierre Georges Roy, pp. 367-368. (free translation)Jean Barbeau dit Boisdoré
Jean-Louis de Jadon, écuyer, sieur de Saint-Cirque, having "served in the best regiments of France and have commanded a battalion in Sicily" came to Canada in 1685, the new Governor General, the Marquis de Denonville.
January 6, 1687, being with troops stationed in Montreal, he attended and signed on the marriage contract between Jacques Maleray, Sieur de la Molerie, lieutenant, and Françoise Picoté de Belestre (Basset). In the following June he took part in the expedition against the Iroquois, and then returns to live in Montreal, as it appears in an act of Adhemar of 1688.
On September 1, 1689, Mr. Jadon St. Cirque consented a 631 livres obligation to Abraham Bouat, the hotel's trendy Montreal at that time, for his expenditure mouth him and his vallet (Adhemar) .
That same year, he seems to have been to Niagara with a party.
In August 1691, during the attack of Laprairie by Major Schuyler, M. de Jadon de Saint-Cirque took charge of the defense of the fort, replacing Mr. de Callière, governor of Montreal was sick.
The unfortunate captain was wounded in the thigh by a bullet that cut her vena cava and he died on the way to the fort.
Were killed with him, Dosta, a reformed captain and Domergue, a reformed lieutenant and 14 other soldiers or inhabitants (Tanguay, I, 553).
This is certainly among the "14 other soldiers or inhabitants" that were unfortunate that the five Montrealer that the Villemarie register have been reported killed in Laprairie on August 11, 1691 and whose names are:
Nicolas Barbier, aged 33, son of Gilbert Barbier, one of the Montreal pioneers. Nicolas was part of this group of men who tried to found a community of teaching Priest in Montreal in 1686.
Louis Ducharme, aged 31, husband of Marie Anne Mallet.
François Cibardin, 31 years old, husband of Louise Guître. Shoemaker by trade, he had bought two months earlier, in the company of Baillet, the tannery from MM. Dédieu and Mouchère in Villemarie (Adhémar, 15 juin 1691).
Jean-Vincent Le Ber Duchesne, aged 24, son of Jacques Le Ber, merchant.
Pierre Pinguet de Montigny, aged 33, husband of Catherine Testard de Folleville.
Pierre Cabazié, aged 19, son of the notary and royal sergeant, Pierre Cabazié.
Misled by the similarity of names, Mgr Tanguay, vol. I, 97, was killed the father in 1691, but at yhe vol. II, 513, the author gives the true date of death is 1715.
It is likely that in the register of Laprairie of 1691 with the dual does not exist in the archives of Montreal, we find a list of other soldiers or people who perished in this fight.
It is also known under the name "François Jean Barbeau dit Boisdoré", "Jean Baptiste Barbeau dit Boisdoré", "François-Jean Boisdoré dit Barbeau", "Jean Barbot", "Jean Barbeau" and "Jean Barbot dit Boisdoré".
John was born about 1664 (based on his age at death) of the union of the bourgeois Pierre Barbeau and Madeleine Babin. The "Programme de Recherche en Démographie Historique" (PRDH) says he was born in the parish of Saint-Vivien in Pons, as mentioned in his marriage in 1686. But according to the origin file, the original parish would rather Saint-Martin, also located in Pons, France. It is usually named "Jean" in most documents mentioning, but at the wedding of his daughter Marie appears as "François" and "Jean-Baptiste" on other occasions.
Jean arrived in Nouvelle-France with the "Troupes de la Marine" as a soldier in the company of Capitaine Saint-Cirq. One of his comrades was Pierre Fontaine dit Bienvenue (1668-1738) that will leave its mark in history as one of the state military who helped Marie-Madeleine Jarret de Verchères, mother of "Madeleine de Verchère" ( [link]
) to defend Vercheres against an attack by the Iroquois October 22, 1690. In April 1692, six months before the exploits of the young girl, Pierre became uncle in law of "Madeleine de Verchère".
After signing a marriage contract before the notary Michel Moreau dated November 15, 1686, Jean Barbeau dit Boisdoré marries Marie-Françoise De Noyon ("Marie Denoyan", "Marie De Noyon", "Marie Denoyon", 1671-1750) on November 18 at "Sainte Famille de Boucherville" ( [link]
) church. The couple settled to "Boucherville" to found a family where 16 children were born: Geneviève (1689-1773), Jean-Baptiste (1691-XXXX), Gabriel (1694-1751), Marie (1695-1743), Madeleine (1697-1733), François (1698-XXX), Joseph (1700-XXX), Jean-Baptiste (1701-1701), Marguerite (1702-1769), Pierre (1704-1725), Louis (1705-1706), Charlotte (1706-1706), Marie-Charlotte (1707-1744), Marie-Thérèse (1709-1747), Louise (1710-1711) and Jean (1713-1730).Joseph Barbeau dit Boisdoré (grandfather)
Joseph was born on March 20, 1700 in Boucherville, seventh child of Jean Barbeau dit Boisdoré and Marie-Françoise De Noyon.
On April 6, 1726, Joseph appeared before the magistrate Louis Auguste de la Loire Flaucour and the priest Mathias de Sedan of the parish "Notre-Dame-Du Fort Conde De La Mobille", accompanied by Claude Parant (Parent) and his wife Catherine Christophe as witnesses to certify that it is not already married. Both notable notify him they make him "draw this act for our safety
." Joseph Barbo dit Boisdoré marries Marie-Louise Bret (1700-1747), daughter of Louis Bret (Brest, Brette, Brete, Le Bret, 1676-1726), master tailor, and Élizabeth "Isabel" Le Roy (Rouet - 1685-avant juin 1721), on April 8, 1726 in "Notre-Dame-Du Fort Conde De La Mobille", in Louisiane (Mobile, Alabama) from this union were born ten children (names are reported as they appear in the register of baptisms) :
- Joseph Estienne (Joseph-Étienne) born and baptized on February 23, 1727 at "Notre-Dame-Du Fort Conde De La Mobille", Louisiane, son of "Joseph Barbeau or Boisdore" and "Marie Louise Brette". He married Marie Jeanne Deslandes (May 8, 1732-circa 1798), daughter of François Deslandes and Magdeleine Boyer, on January 3, 1749 at the Cathedrale de l'Immaculée-Conception De "La Mobille", Louisiane. He died between 1765 and 1794.
- Claude was born on March 13, 1729 and baptized on March 14, 1729 at "Notre-Dame-Du Fort Conde De La Mobille", Louisiane, son of "Joseph Barbeau or Boisdore" and "Louise Bret". He died on March 5, 1746.
- Louis born and baptized on January 3, 1731 at "Notre-Dame-Du Fort Conde De La Mobille", Louisiane, son of "Joseph Barbeau or Boisdore" and "Louise Bret".
- Jeanne Louise was born June 13, 1732 and baptized June 15, 1732 at "Notre-Dame-Du Fort Conde De La Mobille", Louisiane, daughter of "Joseph Barbeau or Boisdore" and "Louis Brette". She died September 2, 1732.
- Marie Louis (Marie-Louise) was born February 7, 1733 and baptized February 8, 1733 at "Notre-Dame-Du Fort Conde De La Mobille", Louisiane, daughter of "Joseph Barbeau or Boisdore" and "Louize Brete".
- Louise was born November 7, 1733 and baptized November 8, 1733 at "Notre-Dame-Du Fort Conde De La Mobille", Louisiane, daughter of "Joseph Barbeau or Boisdore" and "Louise Bret".
- Marie Joseph was born December 2, 1735 and baptized December 3, 1735 at "Notre-Dame-Du Fort Conde De La Mobille", Louisiane, daughter of "Joseph Barbeau or Boisdore" and "Louise Bret". She died on November 4, 1737.
- Jean Claude was born and baptized November 4, 1737 at "Notre-Dame-Du Fort Conde De La Mobille", Louisiane, son of "Joseph Barbeau or Boisdore" et "Louise Bret". He died on March 5, 1746.
- Juan Antonio was born in 1738 at "Notre-Dame-Du Fort Conde De La Mobille", Louisiane, son of "Joseph Barbeau or Boisdore" and "Louise Bret". Juan Antonio married Francoise Veillon (1742-XXXX).
- Genevieve (Geneviève) was born on 18 sptembre 1745 and baptized 19 sptembre 1745 "Notre-Dame-Du Fort Conde De La Mobille", Louisiane, daughter of "Joseph Barbeau or Boisdore" and "Louize Bret".
In the various acts which is inscribed the profession of Joseph, it is mentioned that he is a master tailor as his stepfather.
Marie-Louise Bret died May 27, 1747. Joseph Barbeau dit Boisdoré married on October 6 or 13, 1747, in second marriage, at "Notre-Dame-Du Fort Conde De La Mobille" Louisiane, Marguerite Colon dit Laviolette (1717-XXXX), daughter of Jean-Baptiste Colon dit Laviolette and Marguerite Praux. The couple had no children and Joseph died in 1749 in St. Louis Plantation near "La Mobille" Louisiane.
The documentation concerning the first settlers in Hancock County in the eighteenth century is rare. Much of the records were destroyed in the fire that destroyed the courthouse in Gainesville on March 31, 1853. But Spanish records, dating from 1788, mention the names of two prominent French citizens living in Mobile: Charles Marie de La Lande and Joseph Barbant [Barbeau] of Boisdore. The two men owned land adjacent to that of Jean Claude Favre to Mobile along the river "East Pearl". The families Favres, Rouceve and Barbeau dit Boisdoré to be among the first non-natives settlers of the "East Pearl" River area.Marie Jeanne Deslandes
Charles Rocheron was born July 4, 1673 in Quebec. On 1698, in "Kaskaskia" in Upper Louisiane, Charles married Henriette Colon, Métis daughter of Jean Baptiste Colon Dit Laviolette (1665-1725) and Catherine Exipakinoea (1675-1707) of Kaskaskia, Illinois' Country. The couple had nine children: Charles (1715-1747), Pierre (1717-1771), Marie Henriette (1719-XXXX), Marie Joseph (1722-1752), Louis Augustin (1724-1779), Marie Therese (1725-1732), Jean (1728-1763), Marguerite (1731-1786), Oliver (1732-1732).
Charles became a trapper and was associated with Henri de Tonti, an Italian soldier, explorer, and fur trader in the service of France, accompanying him on many of his expeditions. In 1701, the two friends came to settle in Louisiane, near "La Mobille" in the colony of Fort-Louis-De-La-Mobille. In 1704, Henri, who contracted yellow fever, died there September 4, 1704. In 1706, with Pierre LeBoeuf, Gilbert Dardenne and Claude Parent, Rocheron left Fort-Louis-De-La-Mobille to settle at the mouth of the river. Prosperity gained by these four men had led to the relocation in 1711, the activities center of "La Mobille". Some time later, Charles moved to the mouth of the "Dog River" where he established a plantation (St Louis Plantation), which included most of what is now known as the island of Hollinger. Charles Rochon died on March 21, 1733 in this property remained in the hands of his children until 1848.
Marie Jeanne Deslandes (May 8, 1732-circa 1798), daughter of François Deslandes and Magdeleine Boyer, married to Charles Rochon, son of Charles Rocheron (July 4, 1673 - March 21, 1733) and Henriette Colon (November 27, 1698 - February 28, 1733), was born in "Dog River" from "La Mobille" on January 11, 1745 "Notre Dame Du Fort Conde De La Mobille" Louisiane. The couple had two children before the untimely death of Charles in 1647: Issac (1746-XXXX) and Charles (1747-1747).Joseph Barbeau ???
Joseph Estienne (Joseph-Étienne) was born February 23, 1727 in "Notre-Dame-Du Fort Conde De La Mobille", Louisiane, son of "Joseph Barbeau or Boisdore" and "Marie Louise Brette". He married Marie Jeanne Deslandes on January 3, 1749 at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception From "La Mobille" Louisiane. He died in March 1765.
From this point, the documentation becomes difficult to obtain. Several documents were lost during the conquest by the English, fire in buildings sheltering them, ships sunk by the French enemies' (English, Spanish), etc ... We loses track of this family for the next fifty years. It was not until 1807 that found a Joseph Barbeau said Boisdoré La Prairie-de-la-Magdeleine.House Joseph-Barbeau-Dit-Boisdoré
The origins of the concession of the lot 135 of the official cadastre of the village of La Prairie back to February 4, 1794 when the Jesuits in grants rights Louis Bauzet (1763-1798). After his death, his widow, Geneviève Renaud dit Lachapelle (1768-XXXX), remarried Joseph Nolin in 1799. On November 7, 1801, not having need of it, she sells the land to Joseph Amable Guerin dit Lafontaine (1761-1832). On March 8, 1803 Joseph Amable exchange the land with Joseph Decombre Porcheron (1770-1846) who, March 19, 1807 sells physician-surgeon Robert Sheldon undertaking to build a wooden house, but just one month later , sharing everything with Joseph Barbeau dit Boisdoré. Joseph takes the work of doctor Sheldon and is finishing the house with stones.
A plaque affixed to the front of the house. The plaque reads:
MAISON BARBEAU DIT BOISDORÉ
La concession du terrain remonte à 1794 au moment de l'expansion du faubourg. La maison fut construite vers 1807 par Joseph Barbeau dit Boisdoré. Lors de l'incendie de 1846, les flammes l'ont lourdement endommagée, et on a reconstruit les murs-pignons en brique. La maison a momentanément servi d'auberge après sa reconstruction.
Initiative de la Fondation Histoire et Patrimoine de La Prairie, avril 2004.
It can be seen on the facade of the building, large "S" wrought iron. These hooks black iron shaped "S", called "essepris" or "hook brace" help keep the straight walls, especially when the roof is curved, because the walls tend to take the same form as the roof , that is to say to diverge towards the base.Google Street View
- Right click on the link and open in a new tab -- [link]------------------------ ------------------------