Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour
×



Details

Submitted on
August 14, 2012
Image Size
166 KB
Resolution
800×600
Link
Thumb
Embed

Stats

Views
1,066
Favourites
24 (who?)
Comments
19
Downloads
16
×
Maison Andegrave by Lapointe56 Maison Andegrave by Lapointe56

Maison Andegrave


5460, boulevard Gouin est, Montréal-Nord (Montréal), Québec, H1G 1B5, Canada

(English text following)

Autre nom connu : Maison Drouin-Xénos

Andegrave dit Champagne

Pierre, le premier Andegrave à venir de France au Canada, ajoute le surnom "Champagne" à son nom dès le début comme c'est la coutume à l'époque. Jusque vers le milieu du XIXe siècle, ses descendants conservent le patronyme "Andegrave dit Champagne", pour ensuite laisser tomber "Andegrave" et n'utiliser que le surnom "Champagne".

Beaucoup de familles Champagne de la région d'Ottawa, comme celle dont nous retraçons ici la filiation, descendent de ce Pierre Andegrave. L'ancien député à l'Assemblée législative d'Ontario (de 1912 à 1914) et échevin d'Ottawa (de 1915 à 1924), Napoléon Champagne, en l'honneur duquel une rue a été nommée à Ottawa, serait un "Andegrave".

L'origine du nom "Andegrave" est difficile à établir. Etant donné toutefois que l'ancêtre Pierre Andegrave vient de la région de Reims, donc pas très loin de l'Alsace et de l'Allemange, il est permis de croire que son nom pouvait avoir une origine germanique. En effet, le titre allemand "Landgrave" (une des nombreuses épellations de ce patronyme qu'on retrouve dans les registres) est dérivé des mots "LAND" et "GRAF" qui veulent dire "pays" et "comte" en allemand. De nos jours, le nom "Andegrave" semble avoir complètement disparu, du moins au Canada. Dans l'annuaire téléphonique d'Ottawa, il n'y a qu'une seule inscription, épelée à l'allemande: "Landgraff, Lloyd", de Stittsville.

Les Champagne du Canada ne descendent pas tous de Pierre Andegrave. Il existe une cinquantaine de patronymes qui sont "dits Champagne", dont :
  • les Aubin;
  • les Beaugrand;
  • les Choquet;
  • les Gouin;
  • les Henault;
  • les Laplante;
  • les Macard;
  • les Mouflet;
  • les Orillon;
  • les Orion;
  • les Plante;
  • les Sylvestre;
  • etc...

L'acte de mariage précise que Pierre Handgrave, habitant de Contrecoeur, est le fils de Jean Handgrave et de Louise Loriau de la paroisse de Pévy dans l'archidiocèse de Reims (Rheims), en France. La mariée, Marie Guertin, pour sa part, est la fille de Louis Guertin et d'Isabelle (Elizabeth) Camus, habitants de Montréal. Pierre est âgé de 24 ans, Marie n'a que 13 ans. Ils signent un contrat de mariage devant le notaire Bénigne Basset dit Deslauriers le 24 novembre 1675.

Pierre Handgrave est né en France en 1652. En 1665, s'est embarqué sur le Saint-Sébastien, il débarque au Canada comme soldat de la compagnie de Porte du Régiment de Carignan-Salières le 12 septembre 1665. La nomenclature des effectifs des troupes du régiment telle que reproduite par Régis Roy et Gérard Malchelosse, mentionne un soldat "Champagne" dans cette compagnie sans autres précisions.

En 1671, on retrouve Pierre Handgrave à Boucherville. Après son mariage en 1675, il habite à Contrecoeur jusque vers 1690 alors qu'il s'installe à Montréal. Le 14 décembre 1693, Pierre Handgrave achète un emplacement de quarante pieds de front sur la rue Saint-Paul, près de la chapelle Notre-Dame de Bonsecours. Le contrat est consigné au greffe du notaire Claude Mangue.

Marie Guertin, d'autre part, est née à Montréal le 29 mars 1662. Ses parents, Louis Guertin et Elizabeth Le Camus, se sont épousés à Montréal le 26 octobre 1659. Louis est venu au Canada avec la recrue de 1653 tandis qu'Elizabeth fait la traversée en 1659 avec Jeanne Mance et Marguerite Bourgeoys; cette dernière l'a hébergée dans son école avec une douzaine de ses compagnes de voyage en attendant son mariage.

La famille Andegrave dit Champagne vit au Sault-au-Récollet et dans les environs à compter de la deuxième génération jusque vers les années 1850 alors qu'elle se déplace vers Plantagenet, Papineauville et La Passe (près de Renfrew) avant de s'établir à Ottawa vers les années 1880.

La Maison Andegrave

En 1741, le cultivateur Pierre Andegrave, descendant de troisième génération de Pierre Handgrave et Marie Guertin, se fait construire cette maison de pierre sur la terre qu’il a récemment acquise, alors sise à l’extrémité est de la paroisse du Sault-au-Récollet. Il engage le maître maçon Pierre Hallé pour exécuter les travaux. La maison est achevée à l’été 1742. Les Andegrave y demeurent jusqu’en 1835. La famille Meilleur en prend alors possession pour les 83 ans à venir. C'est probablement au cours de cette période que le toit est couvert de tôle à baguette et le larmier est prolongé du côté sud de manière à couvrir une nouvelle galerie qui s’étend sur toute la longueur de la maison.

Ayant ensuite appartenu successivement à neuf propriétaires, la maison est acquise par Lise Drouin et John B. Xénos en 1969. En réponse à leur démarche, la maison est classée monument et lieu historiques par le gouvernement du Québec en 1970. Le bâtiment est restauré entre 1970 et 1974, selon les plans élaborés par les architectes Vianney Guindon et Claude G. Leclerc, le toit est couvert de bardeaux de cèdre et le larmier du côté sud est rétréci, les dimensions de la galerie sont réduites et l’intérieur de la maison est restauré. Aujourd'hui, la maison sert toujours à fins résidentielles.

La maison Andegrave est l’une des plus anciennes maisons de ferme toujours existantes sur l’île de Montréal. Elle est sise sur une élévation abrupte et sa façade principale, comprenant deux portes et deux fenêtres, donne vers le sud et fait dos à la rivière des Prairies et au boulevard Gouin Est. Sa façade nord, comportant deux fenêtres et aucune porte, est partiellement cachée par la végétation. Alors que les maisons de ferme donnaient généralement sur la rue, la maison Andegrave faisait plutôt face à la terre agricole qui s’étendait sur 40 arpents vers le sud. Par ailleurs, le rez-de-chaussée de la maison est surélevé permettant l’utilisation optimale du sous-sol de plain-pied du côté de la cour.

Cette maison est un exemple intéressant de la maison rurale québécoise du XVIIIe siècle. Maçonnée en pierre des champs recouverte de crépi sur sa façade sud, elle est de plan presque carré et est couverte d’un toit à deux versants. Deux cheminées sont disposées en chicane dans les murs-pignons. Elles alimentaient à l’origine deux foyers au rez-de-chaussée, l’un dans la salle commune et l’autre dans la grande chambre, et vraisemblablement un âtre au sous-sol.

Noms des occupants :
  • Pierre Andegrave et sa famille
    (propriétaire de 1740 à environ 1835)
  • Joseph Amable Meilleur
    (propriétaire de 1835 à 1952)
  • Hippolyte (Paul) Meilleur
    (propriétaire de 1852 à 1918)
  • Pierre Scott
    (propriétaire de XXXX à 1969)
  • Lise Drouin et John B. Xénos
    (propriétaire de 1969 à XXXX)

Prix émérite du patrimoine architectural 2005
Une maison du régime français à Montréal-Nord

L'une d'entre elles, située au 5460, boulevard Gouin Est, à Montréal-Nord, vient de recevoir le Prix émérite du patrimoine architectural 2005 pour l'arrondissement de Montréal-Nord.

La maison a été construite en 1741 par le maître maçon Pierre Allé pour Pierre Andegrave, qui avait acquis une terre de trois arpents de largeur et 40 de profondeur l'année précédente, dans la partie est de l'ancienne municipalité de Sault-au-Récollet.

C'est la passion du patrimoine qui a amené Lise Drouin et le médecin John B. Xénos, à acheter en 69 la vieille maison de Pierre Scott, un entraîneur de dauphins à l'aquarium de l'île Sainte-Hélène. Le couple, qui avait fait l'acquisition d'un terrain dans les environs pour ériger un bungalow, a vite abandonné cette idée.

Une fois l'achat complété, les nouveaux propriétaires s'empressèrent de faire classer "monument historique" le bâtiment afin d'obtenir l'expertise du ministère des Affaires culturelles dans les travaux de restauration, ce qui fut fait en juillet 70. Ils ont pu bénéficier des conseils de l'architecte Vianney Guindon, du ministère, qui a guidé l'architecte retenu par les nouveaux propriétaires, Claude G. Leclerc. Les travaux de restauration ont été réalisés en deux temps, en 1970 et en 1974.

"Lors de l'acquisition, l'extérieur avait sensiblement l'apparence que l'on connaît aujourd'hui, sauf qu'il y avait deux portes à l'entrée, dont l'une a été transformée en fenêtre comme à l'origine. La façade est orientée vers le sud, c'est-à-dire vers l'intérieur des terres, ce qui laisse entendre que le boulevard Gouin n'existait pas à l'époque de sa construction et qu'un autre chemin plus au sud desservait la communauté", souligne Lise Drouin.

Les premiers travaux de restauration ont été réalisés à l'intérieur. "Nous avons fait cureter les murs du rez-de-chaussée au complet. Puis après avoir appliqué un isolant jaune giclé, nous avons fait replâtrer les murs. Le plancher a été refait avec des planches de pin neuf, mais nous avons conservé les anciennes planches qui ont été utilisées pour le sous-sol qui était en terre battue. L'escalier, qui se trouvait vers le centre de la pièce principale, a été déplacé vers la partie ouest afin de dégager l'espace et nous permettre d'aménager une cuisine plus moderne", dit M. Xénos.

Toutes les fenêtres, dont certaines étaient à guillotine, ont été changées pour des modèles français à carreaux. Les propriétaires ont poussé le souci de l'authenticité jusqu'à faire confectionner des espagnolettes et des clenches en fer forgé par un artisan de Saint-Césaire, Marcel Juneau. Toutefois, l'étripe-chats (aussi vieux que la maison) protège une fenêtre du sous-sol contre les effractions.

À l'étage, jadis utilisé comme grenier, les propriétaires ont fait aménager une grande chambre et une salle de bains contemporaine dissimulée derrière des cloisons provenant du rez-de-chaussée. La charpente du toit est toujours en évidence comme aux premiers jours de sa construction.

La maison, qui mesure 30 sur 27 pieds, comporte deux cheminées en chicane et deux foyers, l'un bouchardé au rez-de-chaussée et un autre dans le sous-sol, jumelé avec un ancien four à pain. Le docteur Xénos a dû courir les antiquaires avant de trouver des portes en fer forgé pour le four à pain.

À l'extérieur, l'ancienne galerie, qui faisait autrefois la largeur du bâtiment, a été réduite aux trois quarts et le toit, anciennement en tôle à baguette, a été refait en bardeaux de cèdre fendus à la main. M. Xénos n'a qu'un seul regret, celui de ne pas avoir refait le toit comme il était au moment de l'achat, soit avec un larmier pour éviter le déversement de la neige sur la galerie.

Dans la cour, une ancienne laiterie de Maniwaki vieille de 150 ans et fabriquée en pièces sur pièces a été remontée pour servir de remise.

Les Xénos-Drouin ont ainsi poussé leur passion du patrimoine à ses limites. Sans compter les acquisitions au fil du temps comme ce poêle à deux ponts du XIXe siècle, un poêle démontable (XVIIIe siècle) fabriqué aux Forges de Saint-Maurice et un buffet à deux corps vitrés datant de 1771.

Pour avoir su conserver un témoin du patrimoine du régime français, les Xénos-Drouin ont obtenu le Prix émérite du patrimoine architectural de Montréal, récompense qui vient couronner leurs efforts.
Claude-V. Marsolais -- La Presse, 2005

Valeur patrimoniale

La maison Andegrave, classée en 1970, est une résidence d'inspiration française érigée en 1741-1742. La demeure en pierre de plan presque carré, à deux étages et demi, présente un solage bien dégagé et est coiffée d'un toit à deux versants légèrement retroussés. La maison Andegrave est située sur un vaste terrain boisé surplombant la rivière des Prairies, dans l'arrondissement municipal de Montréal-Nord de la ville de Montréal.

La valeur patrimoniale de la maison Andegrave repose sur son intérêt architectural. Érigée au milieu du XVIIIe siècle, elle est représentative de la maison rurale d'inspiration française. Ce type est issu de savoir-faire et de modèles français qui ont été progressivement adaptés aux conditions particulières du pays (climat, disponibilité des matériaux) et à certaines influences stylistiques. La maison Andegrave illustre ce type par son corps de logis en pierre, son toit à deux versants aux larmiers courts, ses souches de cheminée latérales en pierre disposées en chicane et ses fenêtres à battants à petits carreaux distribuées de manière asymétrique. Le dégagement du solage, qui forme un étage habitable, est une particularité de cette maison.

La valeur patrimoniale de la maison Andegrave repose aussi sur l'intégrité de son intérieur. Elle conserve plusieurs éléments exceptionnels propres aux intérieurs des maisons rurales du XVIIIe siècle. Elle compte, en effet, un foyer, un évier de pierre, un mur de refend, un plafond à poutres apparentes, un escalier de bois ainsi qu'un four à pain à voûte, aussi appelée chambre de cuisson, en forme de chapelle au sous-sol.

Source : Ministère de la Culture et des Communications du Québec, 2004.

Les éléments clés de l'implantation de la maison Andegrave comprennent, notamment :
  • sa situation sur un vaste terrain boisé surplombant la rivière des Prairies, dans l'arrondissement municipal de Montréal-Nord de la ville de Montréal.
Les éléments clés de l'architecture de la maison Andegrave représentatifs la maison rurale d'inspiration française comprennent, notamment :
  • son volume, dont le corps de logis (en maçonnerie de pierre, crépi en façade) à deux étages et demi, le solage très dégagé, le toit aigu aux larmiers courts (couvert de bardeaux de cèdre);
  • la charpente massive de la toiture assemblée à chevilles de bois avec contreventement faîtier;
  • ses ouvertures, dont les fenêtres à battants à petits carreaux distribuées de manière asymétrique, les chambranles de bois ainsi que les contrevents;
  • les deux souches de cheminée en pierre disposées en chicane au-dessus des murs pignons.
Les éléments clés liés à l'intégrité de l'intérieur de la maison Andegrave comprennent, notamment :
  • le foyer comportant un grand âtre avec manteau en pierre piquée et taillée au ciseau, la pierre d'évier, le mur de refend en pierre au sous-sol, le plafond à poutres apparentes, l'escalier de bois, les armoires encastrées, le four à pain à voûte en forme de chapelle au sous-sol.

Google Street View
- Cliquez droit sur le lien et ouvrez dans un nouvel onglet -- [link]

------------------------ ------------------------

Other known name : Maison Drouin-Xénos

Andegrave dit Champagne

Pierre, the first Andegrave ahead from France in Canada, added the nickname "Champagne" in its name from the beginning as is the custom at the time. Until the mid-nineteenth century, his descendants retain the name "Andegrave dit Champagne", then drop "Andegrave" and use only the nickname "Champagne".

Many Champagne families of the region of Ottawa, like the one here we trace the lineage, descended from this Pierre Andegrave. The former member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario (1912 to 1914) and Alderman of Ottawa (from 1915 to 1924), Napoleon Champagne, after whom a street was named in Ottawa, would be a "Andegrave".

Origin of the name "Andegrave" is difficult to establish. However, since the ancestor Pierre Andegrave comes from the Reims area, not far from Alsace and Germany, it is permitted to believe that his name could have a Germanic origin. Indeed, the German title "Landgrave" (one of many spellings of this surname found in the records) is derived from the words "LAND" and "GRAF" which mean "country" and "Count" in German. Today, the name "Andegrave" seems to have completely disappeared, at least in Canada. In the telephone directory of Ottawa, there is only one entry, spelled in German: "Landgraff, Lloyd", Stittsville.

The Champagne of Canada do not all descend from Pierre Andegrave. There are nearly fifty names that are "dits Champagne", including:
  • The Aubin;
  • The Beaugrand;
  • The Choquet;
  • The Gouin;
  • The Henault;
  • The Laplante;
  • The Macard;
  • The Mouflet;
  • The Orillon;
  • The Orion;
  • The Plante;
  • The Sylvestre;
  • etc...


The marriage certificate states that Pierre Handgrave, a resident of Contrecoeur, is the son of Jean Handgrave and Louise Loriau of the Pévy parish in the archdiocese of Rheims (Reims), France. The bride, Marie Guertin, for his part, is the daughter of Louis Guertin and Isabelle (Elizabeth) Camus, inhabitants of Montreal. Pierre is 24 years old, Mary was only 13 years. They signed a marriage contract before a notary Bénigne Basset dit Deslauriers on November 24, 1675.

Pierre Handgrave was born in France in 1652. In 1665, embarked on the Saint-Sébastien, he landed in Canada as a private for Compagnie de Porte du Régiment de Carignan-Salières on September 12, 1665. The nomenclature of the troop of the regiment as reproduced by Régis Roy and Gérard Malchelosse, mentions a soldier "Champagne" in this company without elaborating.

In 1671, we find Pierre Handgrave in Boucherville. After his marriage in 1675, he lives in Contrecoeur until about 1690 when he moved to Montreal. December 14, 1693, Pierre Handgrave buys a site of forty feet of frontage on Saint-Paul Street, near the chapel Notre-Dame de Bonsecours. The contract is recorded in the office of notary Claude Mangue.

Marie Guertin, on the other hand, was born in Montreal March 29, 1662. His parents, Louis Guertin and Elizabeth Camus, were married in Montreal October 26, 1659. Louis came to Canada with the rookie of 1653 while Elizabeth made the crossing in 1659 with Jeanne Mance and Marguerite Bourgeoys, the latter has hosted him in his school with a dozen of his traveling companions until her marriage.

The Andegrave dit Champagne family lives in Sault-au-Récollet and around from the second generation until about the 1850s when they moves to Plantagenet, Papineauville and La Passe (near Renfrew) before settling Ottawa in the 1880s.

The Maison Andegrave

In 1741, the farmer Pierre Andegrave, third-generation descendant of Pierre and Marie Guertin Handgrave, was built this stone house on land it recently acquired, then located at the eastern end of the parish of Sault-au-Recollet. It urges the master mason Pierre Hallé to perform the work. The house was completed in summer 1742. The Andegrave remain there until 1835. The Meilleur family takes possession for the next 83 years. It is probably during this period that the roof is covered with sheet metal drip edge strip and is extended on the south side to cover a new gallery that spans the entire length of the house.

Who then belonged successively to nine owners, the house was acquired by Lise Drouin and John B. Xenos in 1969. In response to their approach, the house is a listed building and historic place by the Quebec government in 1970. The building was restored between 1970 and 1974, according to plans drawn by architects Vianney Guindon and Claude G. Leclerc, the roof is covered with cedar shingles and drip edge on the south side is narrowed, the dimensions of the gallery are reduced and the inside of the house is restored. Today the house is still used for residential purposes.

The "Maison Andegrave" is one of the oldest farmhouses still existing on the island of Montreal. She sits on a steep rise and its main facade, with two doors and two windows, gives to the south and back on to the Rivière des Prairies river and boulevard Gouin East. Its north side, with two windows and no door is partially hidden by vegetation. While farm houses generally gave the street, the house was rather Andegrave facing the agricultural land which stretched over 40 acres to the south. Moreover, the ground floor of the house is raised to the optimum use of the basement walk-in side of the court.

This house is an interesting example of rural Quebec home of the eighteenth century. Field stone masonry covered with plaster on its south side, it is almost square and is covered with a gable roof. Two chimneys are staggered in the walls-pinions. They fed originally two homes on the ground floor, one in the common room and the other in the great room, and probably a hearth in the basement.

Names of occupants :
  • Pierre Andegrave et sa famille
    (owner from 1740 to about 1835)
  • Joseph Amable Meilleur
    (owner from 1835 to 1952)
  • Hippolyte (Paul) Meilleur
    (owner from 1852 to 1918)
  • Pierre Scott
    (owner from XXXX to 1969)
  • Lise Drouin et John B. Xénos
    (owner from 1969 to XXXX)

Architectural Heritage Emeritus Award 2005
A house of the French regime in Montréal-Nord

One of them, located at 5460, boulevard Gouin East, Montreal-Nord, recently received the Architectural Heritage Emeritus Award in 2005 for the borough of Montréal-Nord.

The house was built in 1741 by the master mason Pierre Allé for Pierre Andegrave, who had acquired land of three acres wide and 40 deep last year, in the eastern part of the former municipality of Sault-au-Recollect.

It is the passion of Heritage that led Lise Drouin and physician John B. Xenos, in 69 to buy the old house of Pierre Scott, a dolphin trainer at the aquarium on the île Sainte-Hélène. The couple, who had acquired land in the area to erect a bungalow, was quickly abandoned that idea.

Once the purchase is completed, the new owners were quick to categorize "Monument Historique" the building to obtain the expertise of the Department of Cultural Affairs in the restoration work, which was done in July 70. They were able to benefit from the advice of the architect Vianney Guindon, the Ministry, who guided the architect retained by the new owners, Claude G. Leclerc. The restoration works were carried out in two stages in 1970 and 1974.

"Upon acquisition, the exterior appearance had significantly as we know it today, except that there were two doors at the entrance, one of which was converted into a window as the origin. the façade facing south, that is to say towards the interior, suggesting that Gouin Boulevard did not exist at the time of its construction and more than another way south serving the community", said Lise Drouin.

The first restoration work were carried inside. "We curette the walls of the ground floor completely. Then after applying a yellow insulation sprayed, we have plaster walls. The floor was redone with new pine boards, but we kept the old boards that were used for the basement that was in dirt. The staircase, which was towards the center of the main room, was moved to the west to clear the space and allow us to develop a modern kitchen", said Mr. Xénos.

All windows, some of which were hung, were changed to French models squared. The owners have pushed the concern for authenticity to cause to be made espagnolettes and wrought iron latches by a craftsman from Saint-Césaire, Marcel Juneau. However, the guts-cats (as old as the house) protects a basement window against intruders.

Upstairs, formerly used as an attic, the owners made a big room and develop a contemporary bathroom hidden behind walls from the ground floor. The roof structure is still obvious as in the early days of its construction.

The house, which measures 30 feet on 27, has two chimneys and two chicane fireplaces, one hammered on the ground floor and another in the basement, paired with an old bread oven. Dr Xenos had to run before finding the antique wrought iron gates to the bread oven.

Outside, the old gallery, which was once the width of the building was reduced to three quarters and roof, formerly sheet metal stick, has been redone in cedar shingle hand split. Mr. Xenos has only one regret is not having the roof redone as it was at the time of purchase, or with a drip edge to prevent the spillage of snow on the porch.

In the courtyard of a former dairy Maniwaki 150 years old and made of parts on parts was put together to serve as a garden shed.

The Xenos-Drouin have pushed their passion and heritage to its limits. Including acquisitions over time as this two bridges stove of the nineteenth century, a removable pan (eighteenth century) made at the ​"Forges de Saint-Maurice" and a buffet with two body with glass dating from 1771.

For having maintained a witness heritage of the French regime, the Xenos-Drouin received the Emeritus Award Montreal Architectural Heritage, reward that crowns their efforts.
Claude-V. Marsolais -- La Presse, 2005 (free translation)

Heritage value

The "Maison Andegrave", listed in 1970, is a French-style residence built in 1741-1742. The stone house of almost square, two and a half stories, presents a clear and soiling well is capped with a gable roof slightly upturned. The "Maison Andegrave" is situated on a large wooded lot overlooking the Rivière-des-Prairies, in the municipal district of Montréal-Nord of the city of Montreal.

The heritage value of the "Maison Andegrave" based on its architectural interest. Built in the mid-eighteenth century, it is representative of the French-style farmhouse. This comes from know-how and French models that have been gradually adapted to conditions in the country (climate, availability of materials) and certain stylistic influences. The "Maison Andegrave" illustrates this type by its main building stone, its gable roof with eaves short, its chimney stacks side staggered stone and casement windows with small panes distributed asymmetrically. The release of soiling, which forms a floor space, is a feature of this house.

The heritage value of the "Maison Andegrave" also relies on the integrity of its interior. It maintains several special items specific to domestic houses of the eighteenth century. It has, indeed, a fireplace, stone sink, a partition wall, ceiling beams, a wooden staircase and a bread oven vault, also known as baking chamber, shaped chapel basement.

Source : Ministère de la Culture et des Communications of Quebec, 2004.

Key elements of the implementation of the "Maison Andegrave", including :
  • its location on a large wooded lot overlooking the Rivière-des-Prairies, in the municipal district of Montréal-Nord of the city of Montreal.
Key elements of the architecture of the "Maison Andegrave" representative rural house include French-style, including :
  • its volume, including the main building (stone masonry, stucco front) to two and a half stories, the soiling very clear, the pitched roof with eaves short (covered with cedar shingles);
  • the mass of the roof structure assembled with wooden pegs with shutters overarching;
  • its openings, whose casement windows with small panes distributed asymmetrically, doorframes and the wood shutters;
  • the two strains of stone fireplace staggered above the gable walls.
The key elements related to the integrity of the interior of the "Maison Andegrave" include in particular :
  • the fireplace with a large stone hearth with mantle pitted and cut with scissors, stone sink, stone partition wall in the basement, the ceiling beams, the wooden staircase, the closets, the bread oven dome-shaped chapel in the basement.

Google Street View
- Right click on the link and open in a new tab -- [link]
Add a Comment:
 
:icontheriseman:
TheRiseman Featured By Owner Aug 16, 2012
Merci de me permettre de voyager
:kiss:
Reply
:iconlapointe56:
Lapointe56 Featured By Owner Aug 16, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
C'est toujours un plaisir ;)
Reply
:icontheriseman:
TheRiseman Featured By Owner Aug 18, 2012
:)
Reply
:iconmorbiusx33:
morbiusx33 Featured By Owner Aug 15, 2012
I am visiting Montreal on Saturday and hope to get a glimpse of this building! Thank you.
Reply
:iconlapointe56:
Lapointe56 Featured By Owner Aug 15, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Good luck, this house is hidden by dense vegetation, as you can see on Street View (they are passed in the spring when the trees were not filled with sheets). And as I said in my text above, the front of the house are not on the side of the street. Must obtain permission from the owner to go into the field ...
Reply
:iconmorbiusx33:
morbiusx33 Featured By Owner Aug 15, 2012
Oh, that sounds like a hassle! C'est la cerise sur le gâteau...
Reply
:iconlapointe56:
Lapointe56 Featured By Owner Aug 15, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I imagine your disappointment, but reassure yourself in this sector, along Gouin Boulevard, there are more than fifty houses which are of great heritage interest. You can visit the City of Montreal (in french only - [link]) for making a list to see, but some homes are not listed ...

The best way to discover these homes is still the bycicle (a trail along the entire boulevard Gouin), but the car can do the job given the size of territory to cover ...
Reply
:iconmorbiusx33:
morbiusx33 Featured By Owner Aug 15, 2012
Merci!Souhaitez-vous jamais envisager de diriger une tournée de ces villas historiques?
Reply
:iconlapointe56:
Lapointe56 Featured By Owner Aug 15, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
Désolé, je suis une solitaire... Souvent, je ne connais pas la maison que j'observe. Ça me permet de mieux apprécier ses caractéristiques sans avoir de préjugés. Je prends des photos et fais les recherche à la maison... ce qui double le plaisir...
Reply
:iconmorbiusx33:
morbiusx33 Featured By Owner Aug 15, 2012
Merci, je vais devoir me découvrir. Je suis impatient d'apporter mon nouveau vélo électrique à Montréal - je wa splanning Mont-Royal, mais peut prendre en considération cette partie de la ville.
Reply
Add a Comment: